The museum collection includes over 1800 artefacts ranging from household items to tools, books, clothing and more… all relating to the history of King.
Our administrative office and gallery space are housed in the former SS #23 Kinghorn School; former classrooms serve as programming and exhibit space.
We offer a wide variety of programming for schools and community groups such as Girl Guides and Brownies. There are also a wide variety of workshops and courses that fit interests of everyone in the family! Our site is available for rentals such as bridal showers and private parties, as well as we offer children's themed birthday parties.
HISTORY OF THE SITE AND BUILDINGS
SS #23 Kinghorn School
|James Burns sold the trustees of School Section 23 a parcel of land on April 6th, 1860. The following year David Johnson built a new one room schoolhouse to serve the community of Kinghorn. Built in the new style reflecting Ryerson’s educational reforms, the school’s 16 over 16 windows, blackboards and pine floors are still evident. |
After the expansion from a one room to a three room school in the 1960’s, the building became the King Campus of the York County Catholic School Board before being converted to a museum.
One of the key individuals that we interpret at the museum is Walter Rolling. He began his teaching career at SS #23 in 1895 where he would become a fixture for 41 years until his retirement in 1936.
King Railway Station
|The Station was built c.1852 as part of the Canada National Northern Railway. The railway linked Toronto to Lake Simcoe with the first train stopping at King Station in 1853. The station was used until 1967 and was then moved to the Kortright Centre prior to a final proposed move to BlackCreek Pioneer Village. However, due to local interest, the station was returned to King Township in 1989. Through fundraising and volunteer commitment the station is being restored on an ongoing basis.|
King Station is known as Ontario’s oldest surviving railway station.
King Christian Church
For more information contact the curator at 905-833-2331 or firstname.lastname@example.org
|This building was built in 1851 by offshoot members of the Children of Peace congregation, a Quaker sect who built the Sharon Temple. It served the local community for 80 years until it was re-adapted as the King Emmanuel Baptist Church in 1931. The church eventually closed for good in 1978. Its original location was Kettleby Rd. and Jane St. but it was moved to the museum site in 1982 in order to preserve the building for future generations.|