The Finance Department is responsible for handling all of the financial affairs of the municipality on behalf of and in the manner directed by Council.
The Department’s roles and responsibilities include:
- Collecting payments that are payable to the municipality;
- Deposit all payments received on behalf of the municipality in a financial institution that has been designated by the municipality;
- Pay all debts of the municipality and other expenditures that have been authorized by the municipality;
- Distribute receipt of levy payments pertaining to the Region and School Board;
- Maintain accurate records and provide high quality financial advice to internal and external clients;
- Provide Council with information with respect to the financial affairs of the municipality as it requires or requests;
- Insurance administration and risk management;
- Ensures investments of the municipality are made in compliance with the regulations made under section 418 of the Municipal Act.
The Finance Department is comprised of three main branches: Budgets & Accounting, Revenue and Purchasing.
- The Budgets & Accounting branch is responsible for:
- The coordination and preparation of operating and capital budgets,
- Accounts payable and accounts receivable,
- Banking and audit arrangements and the preparation of internal and statutory financial reporting requirements.
- Ensuring that the corporation is in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (“GAAP”) and more specifically PS 3150 “Accounting for Tangible Capital Assets.
- The Revenue branch is responsible for:
- Manage property taxation billings, collections and inquiries
- Manage water and waste water billings collections and inquiries,
- Review and process property assessment information received from the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC).
- The Purchasing branch is responsible for:
- Managing the corporate procurement function by ensuring that the procurement process continues to be transparent, fair, and accountable, as well as in compliance with the Township’s Purchasing By-law.
- Assists all corporate departments in acquiring goods and services that are required to deliver their services and programs.
The Department serves ratepayers, the public, prospective employees, vendors and various government ministries and agencies.
The Finance Department's objectives are to:
- Ensure fiscal responsibility throughout the Township
- Protect and preserve the assets of the Township
- Accurate, timely and efficient reporting of business and financial transactions
- Timely billing and revenue collection
- Competitive and timely procurement processes
- Ensuring ongoing compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and statutory reporting requirements.
Should you require additional information not provided on this website, please feel free to contact our Department directly.